Data and Research
School Health Profiles
School Health Profiles (Profiles) is a survey of school health policies and practices in states. Profiles is conducted every 2 years by the Utah Department of Health. Profiles monitors the status of:
- School health education requirements
- Physical education and physical activity
- Asthma and other chronic disease management activities
- Family and community involvement in school health programs and activities
- Policies to protect students from unintentional injury
Here is a summary of results from the 2012 Survey (PDF).
Youth Risk Behavior Survey
The Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) is a survey of adolescents conducted in every state every 2 years. YRBS monitors health-risk behaviors including:
- Behaviors that contribute to unintentional injuries and violence
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Tobacco use
- Unhealthy dietary behaviors
- Inadequate physical activity
Here is a summary of results from the 2011 Survey (PDF).
Elementary School Height and Weight Measurement Project
The EPICC Program partners with school nurses, school districts, and local health departments to conduct a bi-annual height and weight measurement project. This project enables UDOH to track the prevalence of overweight and obesity among elementary school students statewide. In 2012, 20.8% of students were at an unhealthy weight. The rate did not change between 2006 and 2012. Access the Childhood Overweight in Utah, 2012 report (PDF) to learn more about the project, rates of overweight by grade and sex, the effects of childhood overweight and obesity, and strategies to prevent childhood obesity.
The Association Between School-Based Physical Activity, Including Physical Education, and Academic Performance
|Shape of the Nation Report
This report provides status of physical education in each of the states and the District of Columbia.